Urban Interstates abandoned because of local opposition.

Hay Friends Of Bitter, Bitter Coffee Park this Time will invite you in the stile of the chat coffe shops on:
Urban Interstates abandoned because of local opposition.
Learn more
This section needs additional citations for verification.
Main article: 
Highway revolts in the United States

Political opposition from residents canceled many freeway projects around the United States, including:

  • I-40 in Memphis, Tennessee was rerouted and part of the original I-40 is still in use as the eastern half of Sam Cooper Boulevard.[36]
  • I-66 in the District of Columbia was abandoned in 1977.
  • I-69 was to continue past its terminus at Interstate 465 to intersect with Interstate 70and Interstate 65 at the north split, northeast of downtown Indianapolis. Though local opposition led to the cancellation of this project in 1981, bridges and ramps for the connection into the "north split" remain visible.
  • I-70 in Baltimore was supposed to run from the Baltimore Beltway (Interstate 695), which surrounds the city to terminate at I-95, the East Coast thoroughfare that runs through Maryland and Baltimore on a diagonal course, northeast to southwest; the connection was cancelled on the mid-1970s due to its routing through Gwynns Falls-Leakin Park, a wilderness urban park reserve following the Gwynns Falls stream through West Baltimore. This included the cancellation of I-170, partially built and in use as U.S. Route 40, and nicknamed the Highway to Nowhere.
  • I-78 in New York City was canceled along with portions with I-278, I-478, and I-878. I-878 was supposed to be part of I-78, and I-478 and I-278 were to be spur routes.
  • I-80 in San Francisco was originally planned to travel past the city's Civic Center along the Panhandle Freeway into Golden Gate Park and terminate at the original alignment of I-280/SR 1. The city canceled this and several other freeways in 1958. Similarly, more than 20 years later, Sacramento canceled plans to upgrade I-80 to Interstate Standards and rerouted the freeway on what was then I-880 that traveled north of Downtown Sacramento.
  • I-83, southern extension of the Jones Falls Expressway (southern I-83) in Baltimorewas supposed run along the waterfront of the Patapsco River/ Baltimore Harbor to connect to I-95, bisecting historic neighborhoods of Fells Point and Canton, but the connection was never built.
  • I-95 through the District of Columbia into Maryland was abandoned in 1977. Instead it was rerouted to I-495 (Capital Beltway). The completed section is now I-395.
  • I-95 was originally planned to run up the Southwest Expressway and meet I-93, where the two highways would travel along the Central Artery through downtown Boston, but was rerouted onto the Route 128 beltway due to widespread opposition. This revolt also included the cancellation of the Inner Belt, connecting I-93 to I-90 and a cancelled section of the Northwest Expressway which would have carried Route 3 inside the Route 128 beltway, meeting with Route 2 in Cambridge.
☆☆☆☆☆

No comments:

Post a Comment

Obrolan yang baik bukan hanya sebuah obrolan yang mengkritik saja, tetapi juga memberi saran dan dimana saran dan kritik tersebut terulas kekurangan dan kelebihan dari saran dan kritik.

BERIKAN OPINI SAHABAT BITTER TENTANG TULISAN TERSEBUT